Thursday, August 18, 2011

Shabby or Chic?


Goodness do I have a lot of magazines at my home. I can't help it, I love a good magazine. As a teen I would get monthly issues of Seventeen Magazine and saved all of them. In high school and college I loved just about every Fashion magazine, well, still do. Right now though I LOVE Home magazines. My problem is that I like to save most of my magazines. I like to look back at them for inspiration, ideas or ripping out pages for different activities. Now I'm not so bad that I've saved by Seventeen Magazines, those are all gone. I have also gotten rid of about half of my fashion magazines, but my Home magazines are keepers.

So, when I came across an antique magazine holder for $9.99 during one of my many antique shopping trips recently, I snatched it up. I've also been itching for a painting project, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity.


I decided to try my hand at a different type of paint, Milk Paint, which is becoming more popular. Milk Paint is completely green and does not have any harmful chemicals or toxins. The only down side is that it's suppose to be very unpredictable and have a mind of it's own. I like a good challenge . . .

I chose a blue/green paint called Sea Green.


The paint comes in a powder form that you mix with water. I found that it seems to mix a little better with hot water and the powder lumps seem to dissolve quicker. You want to make sure the paint is mixed thoroughly. I also mixed my paint throughout my project to keep it from clumping up.

I lightly sanded my piece just to get whatever might be sticking to it off and then wiped it down with a rag to get the dust off.



I wanted a distressed look to my piece so I did not add the extra bonding element that you would need to add if you wanted your paint to thoroughly stick to non-porous surfaces (not primed or sanded). This is where the unpredictable side comes in.

You can use a regular paint brush to apply the paint but I used a foam brush. I brushed on one layer of paint and let it completely dry. The paint will flake off in certain parts while drying, which will give you your antiqued look. I lightly sanded it to get the paint chips off , wiped it down to get the dust particles off, then added another layer of paint. I repeated with letting the paint completely dry, sanded the new paint flakes off and wiped it down. I then added a layer of wax. After waiting about an hour for the wax to dry I then buffed it with a rag. The piece has a little drawer underneath that opens up, so I added two brass knobs that I had bought at an antique store.


And voila . . .the finished project.







This is where the predicament of the "unpredictable side" of this paint comes in. Sometimes the paint flakes a lot, sometimes a little and sometimes not at all. In this case, mine flaked a lot! Actually, if I were to do it over again I think I would have stopped at the first coat and not applied the second coat. I liked the distress look of it with just the first coat, it was just the right amount. But right now . . . I'm still trying to decide what I think with the end result. It might be a little more shabby than chic.



It's growing on me though and it was definitely fun using something new. I also have a new organizer for my magazines. If you are interested in getting your own Milk Paint, here is a list of where you can find a store near you.


Hope you are all having a lovely week!

19 comments:

  1. OH wow, this is one lovely magazine rack. It turned out really nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I'm getting ready to tackle a milk paint project soon, so I'll be coming back here for some tips. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your tips with milk paint! And I love your photographs! I love their styling. :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fabulous, authentically old! Have to give that paint a try.
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how this turned out! Great job!! I'm like you, I have tons of magazines that I save. Definitely have to give milk paint a try. Found you via Miss Mustard Seed. Pop on over for a visit when you get a moment. Tootles, Kathryn http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/07/kitchen-cabinet-transformation.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! What a transformation. Oh you give me hope that I can do this myself one day!!!! Really, WOW. I'm bookmarking so I can remember this!!

    I love transformations! I just turned my secretary into a bar area in my dining room. I really hope you'll stop by and check it out: http://niagaranovice.blogspot.com/2011/08/picture-is-worth.html

    See you soon, I hope!
    Artie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another Fantastic job. You are just one amazing woman, and you are in my family. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh this is so lovely!!
    I love the result of sanding, and painting with milk paint.
    The colour is fabulous too!
    I love home decor magazines and dont like to part with them either...I totally understand :)
    Have a great week!

    Deborah xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Liz,
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this magazine rack! You are so talented! :) David loves it too! Great job! I need to go shopping with you! You always find "steals"! Awesome piece! So, should i save magazines for you? hehe! I like cooking magazines, (don't know why anymore, as i don't cook near as much as i used too! ) I like to keep them too, but end up NEVER going back to them! I wish i had a "pie safe" to store my cookbooks in! I love those pieces! :) OR any other ideas? Sharon Ü

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sure is fantastic. I have never ever seen a magazine rack so unique. You did an awesome job of shabbying it up. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party. Please add my link or button.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a transformation! Love it!!
    I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a magazine lover too!!! Her makeover looks outstanding...great color. Stop by and enter my current giveaway…it’s a $40 Pottery Barn gift card plus a coastal goodie!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful! I love antique magazine stands and I really want to try milk paint, too~ enjoy~
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great magazine stand! So unique, love it!
    ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful job! Love the color you chose, it reminds me of the chalk paint that everyone in blogland is using right now. Thanks for sharing.

    I'm hosting my monthly Before Blogging Throwback Thursdays party, and would love for you to come show off something you bought, did, or created Before Blogging. Can't wait to see what you bring to the party.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, this looks SO really old. You have great vision to select that run of the mill magazine rack and transform it. It is gorgeous! I saw your post at "The Girl Creative" blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. good morning...I am loving your mag rack and totally get what your are saying about keeping all of those magazines...I love them too!!!...so glad I just found you...I'm now following and going back to check out some more...come on over & visit...nice to meet you...Mariaelena

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw this awhile back and loved it. I ordered milk paint and then I couldn't find you again. Found through My Uncommon Slice of Suberbia.

    ReplyDelete